In 1851, Alpha Delta Pi became the world's first secret society for collegiate women, setting the foundation for the entire sorority system as we know it today. Originally known as The Adelphean Society, Alpha Delta Pi was founded on May 15, 1851 at Wesleyan Female College in Macon, Georgia. Since its establishment, our sorority has expanded to more than 155 collegiate chapters throughout the U.S. and Canada, and has proudly initiated over 260,000 members.
The members of Alpha Delta Pi are committed to upholding the finest of standards. For 166 years, our sisters have been guided by ADPi's founding principles of sisterhood, scholarship, leadership, and service to others. The principles established by our founders in 1851 are enduring standards exemplifying the highest ideals of Christian womanhood.
The sisterhood of Alpha Delta Pi is forever. It is a bond that goes beyond the four years of college. It is a sisterhood that cannot be matched, with never-ending trust and love.
Our creed states that Alpha Delta Pi is more than a ritual and more than a symbol: that is is a way of life. Alpha Delta Pi is something you are, not just something you become. What Alpha Delta Pi represents at Florida State University, and what we symbolize throughout North American chapters since 1851 will keep us the first and finest...forever.
Open Motto - "We Live For Each Other"
Mascot - Alphie The Lion
Jewel: The Diamond
Colors - Azure Blue & White
Flower: The Woodland Violet
SYMBOLS & TRADITIONS
1851 - Alpha Delta Pi was founded on May 15th as the Adelphean Society, making it the first secret society for women.
1905 - The Adelphean Society changed its name to Alpha Delta Phi and became a national organization.
1907 - The first The Adelphean of Alpha Delta Pi magazine was published.
1909 - Alpha Delta Phi joined the National Panhellenic Conference.
1913 - The Convention body changed the name of the organization to Alpha Delta Pi, adopted a recognition pin, and appointed a standardization committee.
1915 - The coat of arms was modified to include a lion rampart with a background of violets and the English version of the open motto: "We live for each other."
1979 - Alpha Delta Pi adopted the Ronald McDonald House as the national philanthropy.
1983 - The Alpha Delta Pi Foundation was established.
1909 - The Iota chapter was established at Florida State University, becoming the ninth chapter of Alpha Delta Pi.
1999 - Alpha Delta Pi ushers in the digital age by launching its first website.
2001 - Alpha Delta Pi celebrated its 150th Anniversary.
2011 - Alpha Delta Pi becomes the first sorority to celebrate 160 years of sisterhood.